Welcome to the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission
Welcome to the official web site of the Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission. The Ohio War of 1812 Bicentennial Commission was created by the 128th General Assembly through Senate Bill 93. The Bill created Ohio Revised Code 149.32 which gave the Commission its legal status to function and the ability to adopt several roles and purposes including:
- the study and recommending of activities that this state may carry out to honor Americans who served in Ohio in the War of 1812;
- educating and raising awareness of residents of Ohio and of the nation about Ohio’s role in the War of 1812;
- the coordination of international, federal, state, and local War of 1812 Bicentennial activities occurring in Ohio;
- the seeking of federal grants and philanthropic support for War of 1812 Bicentennial activities;
- compiling an inventory of existing War of 1812 markers, monuments, museums, and ties in this state.
The Bicentennial Commission for the War of 1812 will provide leadership to the State of Ohio, in partnership with its neighbors, to encourage public programs, commemorations, and scholarship on the War of 1812. By exploring the impact of the War, the Commission will foster a lasting legacy grounded in sound scholarship, thoughtful discussion, and the inclusion of diverse peoples and perspectives.
Bicentennial of the War of 1812:
Ohio on the Front Line!
Looking to immerse yourself in a thrilling true story? With the bicentennial of The War of 1812 at hand, don’t miss the opportunity to discover Ohio’s rich history of involvement in the war. Explore the War of 1812: Ohio on the Front Line exhibit, opened July 4-December 30 at the Ohio History Center, where you can see important artifacts and materials that are associated with the war here in Ohio where many significant battles took place.
The exhibit will feature three themes:
- Ohio Raises An Army, with a brief introduction to the War of 1812, muster rolls, diary entries, and maps
- Defending Ohio’s Borders, including trail and fort maps, and firearms
- Legacy of the War of 1812, showcasing a peace pipe and a wampum belt
These themes, highlighting the war from beginning to end, tell an amazing visual story of this important time in Ohio’s history. Make sure you visit the Ohio History Center in Columbus to experience this unique exhibit where history unfolds in front of your eyes!